Thursday, September 24, 2009

JOINTS: Taco Joint


I wish I could say that I'm not the type of guy who listens to reviews...but I'm the type of guy who listens to reviews. If someone says this place is good or that place is bad, I'll usually take their word for it.

That being said, I had heard good things about Taco Joint on Peak & Gaston in east Dallas. D Magazine said it was the best place for breakfast tacos in Dallas, and a number of friends have also extolled it's virtues. I had planned on going, but never got around to doing it. Till now...

I was driving into work, and finally decided to stop in and see what the fuss was about. Let's not beat around the bush...this place isn't in the best neighborhood. There are crack houses right down the street. But when you walk in, what you find is an open, inviting, and hip eatery. It's like if Chipotle and Freebirds had a kid.

The guy behind the counter was nice and talked to me for a bit (SIDENOTE: I think he thought I was someone else, cause he said, "Thanks for coming in again!" I didn't have the heart to correct him), and gave me a take-out menu and told me that if I call in my order, I don't have to wait in line. Good to know, since there was almost a line out the door.

I was going to try one of their signature tacos (either the Lester or the Sophie) but the sign on the door said they had a Thursday special of Fried Chicken Tacos with beans and rice and a drink. I was sold. I also ordered some chips and queso, since I am a queso connoisseur, and promptly dug into my food.

There's only one way to describe how good these tacos were...I didn't want to eat the second one because then the meal would be over and I'd be sad. That's how good they were. And I can only imagine how good their regular tacos are. Or their breakfast tacos.

This is the kind of place that is worth the journey to get there. Forget Urban Taco or Taco Diner. This is the real deal, and won't break your budget either. I got a massive amount of food for $12. And I over-ordered.

I think I found my new favorite taco place.

Taco Joint
911 N. Peak St.
Dallas, TX 75204
214-826-TACO (8226)

ps-I totally stole these pictures from another blog's review. I know, I'm horrible, but they're much better than the ones I took with my iPhone.

No comments: