Tuesday, March 27, 2012

NOM NOMS : I ♥ New York at Gandolfo's New York Delicatessen Food Truck

So good, you forget it came off a truck
I've been a big fan of the recent wave of gourmet food trucks that have invaded Dallas recently, and one of my favorites is Gandolfo's New York Delicatessen.  And my favorite sandwich (which I discovered on accident), is the I ♥ New York, a corned beef & pastrami sandwich with Swiss cheese, and either Russian dressing or spicy mustard on a piece of delicious marble rye bread.


Any sammich that soaks thru the paper is a good sammich
I say I discovered it on accident, because one night, while I was getting a sandwich at Gandolfo's, another customer took the one I ordered and the guys at the truck ended up giving me his (plus some chips & a cookie...they felt bad about the mix up and those are some great guys at Gandolfo's).  While I'm sure my roast beef was delicious, it didn't hold a candle to the mounds and mounds of corned beef and pastrami that I discovered as soon as I opened the butcher paper.  And like that, I was aware of one of my FAVORITE SANDWICHES OF ALL TIME.  I know, I know...bold statement, but it's true.

If you're a fan of good deli sandwiches, you could do worse than ordering from the Gandolfo's truck.  I haven't had a bad sandwich from there yet, and the I ♥ New York is a better sandwich than it's counterpart at Deli News.  The meat is supple and juicy, and the Russian dressing is, in my opinion and also that of my GF's, better on the sandwich than the spicy mustard.  However, a warning...this is a messy sandwich.  I've never been able to eat it without getting meat juices and dressing all over my fingers, which I then eagerly licked clean.

You can usually find the Gandolfo's truck in the Arts District or in Uptown, but check out their Twitter or Facebook to be sure of where they are.  The guys on the truck are good peeps too...I've gotten shout outs back from them on Twitter before.  And if anyone asks me, I always tout the greatness that is Gandolfo's.

**UPDATE** :  I forgot to mention, sometimes they're parked in front of Primo's on McKinney late at night for all your late night deli sandwich needs.  Genius.

No comments: