Saturday, December 27, 2008

JOINTS: Layne's Chicken Fingers

Pops and I were in College Station yesterday getting some post-Christmas stuff, and we were hungry. The first place that popped onto our radar was C&J's BBQ, which is good, but I wasn't feeling it. He then suggested Jason's Deli, and I figured, that'll be good. I can get a salad and some soup, maybe half a Beefeater. But as we were driving to our destination, what should we drive by? The (in)famous Layne's Chicken Fingers.

Now, those that haven't had the privilege to go to Texas A&M or spend any amount of time in College Station will probably know NOTHING about Layne's, but it was a staple of my diet during my college years. Their menu is simple...chicken fingers. And fries. And toast. And sauce. And that's it.

I know what you're going to say. "Chubby Kid, that's the same thing as Raising Cane's" I digress. Yes, it is VERY SIMILAR. And even the College Station Raising Cane's is right next to Layne's. And I've heard that Raising Cane's has been around longer than Layne's. But f' that. I'm all about the Layne's. And, according to the Raising Cane's and Layne's websites, Layne's beat out Cane's by two years. TWO YEARS PEOPLE!

Now, while Layne's might not have the franchise opportunities that Cane's has, what it does have is attitude and atmosphere, which you'll find on their website, in their restaurant, and especially with their food.

If you're ever in College Station, and the need for chicken fingers hits you like a whiskey bottle in the colon, I suggest you bypass the chain chicken finger place and head on over to Layne's. And they now have two locations!

No comments: