Thursday, September 3, 2009

JOINTS: Madden's Casual Gourmet

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, I've been busy working and trying to find work, since I'm not supporting myself as a blogger...yet. Be sure you check out my Twitter page at http://twitter.com/chubby_kid. I'm always updating that. Now, onto my review!

Yesterday, Moms and I were having a nice mother / son bonding day in College Station, and decided to go to lunch at a place that she suggested. Located across the street from the Lasalle Hotel, Madden's Casual Gourmet is tucked into the corner of a specialty gift shop with a bunch of stuff that I would never buy...maybe the huge elk antlers they had hanging on the wall. The restaurant is very quaint, with half walls going up to the beamed ceiling, and a old, scuffed dark hardwood floor that reminds you that this used to be a warehouse at one time.

I ordered the tenderloin and portabella quesadillas with cotija cheese, which turned out to be our waiter's favorite. Mom got the crab and avocado salad, which came out in the shape of a hockey puck, with the crab on top and the avocado on the bottom. Both dishes were presented very nicely, like something you would seen done on Top Chef. While this doesn't impress me much (taste does), it tickled Mom pink. Fancy!

All in all, the food was good, but it wasn't "knock my socks off" fantastic. Maybe it as the quesadillas...I didn't know whether to pick them up and eat them by hand, or eat them with my fork like a civilized human being. So, I did both. But Mom's crab was some of the freshest I think I've ever had, and that's saying something, coming from over 200 miles inland from the coast.

I'll go back to Madden's and try something different, but there are a lot of new restaurants and bars in the downtown Bryan area, and I'll probably try one of them first. If I gave stars, I'd probably give Madden's three, but I don't so I won't.

Madden's Casual Gourmet
202 South Bryan
Bryan, TX 77803
(979) 779-2558

No comments: